Friday, June 6, 2008

Box of Running

Reading quickly through Brian's posts that I've been missing keeps making me think that I ought to buy a watch. Or maybe get the battery replaced on my old Colman watch with the broken lens. What a cheapskate.

Today was the first time that I've ever run with an mp3 player. Just recently picked up an 8g nano, which is really fun! I got it mostly for books on tape in the car, but it's been entertaining for the bug (Hazel) and good for playing music on the home stereo as well. But today was the first time that I thought to use it while running. Listening to Moby up and down the hills. So, I'm not entirely sure whether it was Moby, or just my foot is healing, but I was able to go farther without really feeling the foot pain, or even stopping to flex it. I think I might have stretched a bit more thoroughly in the morning.

In any case, it's kind of strange. I can just barely hear the cacophony of birds. I can hear the buses, but most other cars fade away into the periphery of consciousness. I was thinking at one point that it feels like I'm in the intro to a movie with the main character taking a run and the soundtrack playing overhead. (I'm holding out for Cusack. Not Joan.) I was thinking, too, about Sipiora's work on the walk-man... as sort of an encapsulated box of commoditized culture. I have to say, at least this first run, I miss the birds. It doesn't feel like the run is providing as much of something different from how I spend the rest of my day (often with headphones on listening to people talk.) I'll try it for a few more days, but maybe in the end I'll leave the music and headphones for driving.

(Kidding)

No comments: