Thursday, September 3, 2009

Surprises

So it's been a bit over a year since I started running, and I think it is time for a bit of philosophizing or psychoanalysis. Looking back at the old posts, like this one, I can see how far I really have come. I just ran 30 straight minutes, and could probably run farther if I wasn't watching my knee.

There have been a number of surprises about running for me. I always expected that running was limited by your cardio-vascular system, and that having asthma growing up I'd never be able to do it. Even when my asthma went away, I always thought that running would be too strenuous for me...but I never thought that it would be my legs that would give me the hardest time. This plantar injury, and then the knee issues have really taken me by surprise. I hope that in a year I can look back at this and be like me looking back at this other post, with a slight grin of knowledge and experience.

Finally, I am surprised that I actually like running, that I miss it when I can't do it. That to me is the most remarkable thing, and I still don't completely understand it. But it is now the longest I have maintained any exercise regimen, and not without some hurtles!

No comments: