Monday, August 24, 2009

Injuries suck

So I took a few days off, and my knee was getting better (a bit) and then getting worse. I find that has happened before, with my plantar injury, where one day off helps, but two or three do not. The thing about injuries is that I am in unknown waters again. I have to add quad strengthening exercises, but when? and how much? and how many miles can I run without making things worse? I have to re-discover the schedule, all the time risking making it worse.

Then come shoes, which I need new ones, and so I bought some and I am unsure...is my knee hurting today, and after last night's 3-mile treadmill run, because of new shoes, or because I haven't done enough quad exercises, or enough hamstring exercises, or because 3 miles is too much, or because I ran the 3 miles too fast? It's nearly impossible to determine, given so many variables. Using the old shoes doesn't change the number of variables, because then it becomes, are my knees hurting because my shoes are too old? Should I bike more? Should I try something else for cross-training? Is this whole thing a bad idea. :)

Too many questions!

3 comments:

Becky said...

You sound like too much of a scientist... and not an economist because you sound a little freaked out not being able to control all of your variables!

Where is your knee pain? What type of pain is it? When does it happen? This might point me to some better advice!

bblais said...

Hey, what do you expect! Actually, it's more of a theorist vs experimentalist thing, because in theory there are no injuries. :)

So my knees hurt, mostly my left but some in my right, toward the outside of the knee. Seems to be worse when I get up in the morning, and definitely going downstairs. I thought it was getting a little better with a little bit of quad exercises through the day, but then when I ran on it, it got worse immediately.

As I said, worst pain going downstairs, but also while walking (I'm limping a little bit right now), especially when changing direction. It looks a lot like:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--7773-0,00.html

I am going to go back to my old shoes for now, I think, until I can figure out what's going on. I am not sure how much leg exercise I should be doing, or how much I need to cut back on the running, or how much I need to replace running with something else. Annoying!

bblais said...

another thing I feel is a light clicking in the knee, even when it doesn't hurt. this thing makes me feel old! :)