Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Trip to the Library

I've gotten in the habit of waking up around 3 and taking some ibuprofen. It's hard to know what to even think of a habit like this. One thing to be said for it is that when I wake up at 5 or so to run, I'm more likely to get up to do so. This morning, I had the added incentive of having a few library items to return: Copying Beethoven, which I haven't had a chance to watch, but which I ironically copied, and some VHS tapes which I mysteriously signed out for Hazel not recalling that we don't have a working VHS player anymore.

I took a variety of interesting little back alleys. So many of the little hills around here are steep enough that until you're actually on them, you can't see what's down them. I remember that being the same characteristic that made driving in San Francisco interesting, but when it comes to running, my ankle anticipates them coming up.

In addition to the rabbits which are ubiquitous at this time of the morning, I saw a bird which ran along the ground in front of me. A robin, I think, although it was too dark to clearly see it. Injured, I supposed, and the rest of the way back home, I was questioning whether I should have picked it up, brought it back to the house to nurse it back to health... Unclear if these considerations are a kind of fantasy nourished by watching too many Disney films as a child, or more of a compassionate impulse that is squelched by thoughts of incompetence and hurriedness that are so part of my experience.

No comments: